Tuesday, April 06, 2010

EGYPT'S TOP 10 PHOTOS

Call of Prayer. The sun was setting as the moon was rising over Luxor Temple; and as the huge statues of pharaohs and “gods” stared down at me, Islamic chants began to sound from the nearby mosque.

Golden Markets. There are few things more enchanting than walking through small alleyways lined with stalls of bold colors, flashing metals, and fresh foods. My favorites in this market: the lights, the hookahs, and the antique camera and watch place where I bought my old Cairo train engineer’s pocket-watch (the only watch I own).

Sun Setting on Pyramid. The pyramids are frighteningly close to the city… I guess I should say, the city is frighteningly close to the pyramids! But as I gazed up this powerful silhouette, I was instantly transported back in time to ancient Egypt.

Mooving. The roads in Cairo are the craziest I have witnessed in the world. Every mode of transportation, carrying every sort of thing, all at the same time… going every different direction… A taxi ride in Cairo is one of the greatest adventures one can take! (I think Sheryl would agree.)

Mary’s Light By Day. I passed her in an alley on my way to Ben Ezra Synogogue… one of the most amazing churches/ temples I’ve ever been in (where I was not allowed to take pictures). It has an incredible story, though.

Farm View from Train. Oh, the overnight train from Cairo to Luxor!... Where I could touch every part of my room from one spot. It was a very fun, musical (yes, I still have your dance moves on video), experience… and Luxor was definitely worth the long ride!

Neighborhood View from Bus. There are really no houses in Cairo. Everyone lives in concrete apartments with tons of satellite dishes on the tops of the buildings… It’s all quite strange.

In the Shadow of Giants. Inside the courts of Luxor Temple… a huge area surrounded by giant limestone puzzle pieces (ruins that have yet to be pieced together). In fact, there are ruins all over Luxor; for this reason, people are actually forbidden to dig under their own homes, because they will undoubtedly dig up some great treasure!

Sacred Bloom. The lotus flower. This, along with the papyrus plant, is one of the most holy symbols of ancient Egypt… and it is no wonder why, with such beauty.

Nile River Guide. There is nothing like floating down the Nile River—especially at dusk, while listening to our guide’s eerie tunes being sung and played (drums and back-up by his sons).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home