Thursday, March 04, 2010

ISRAEL'S TOP 10 PHOTOS

Sunrise over The Sea of Galilee. I stood on nearly every side of this lake, I ate it’s St. Peter fish, and I floated on an old boat in the middle of it… and felt as though I was transported back in time a couple thousand years. [In case you’re wondering how I was up so early, it’s because we (my tour group) had already been awake for hours worrying that our hotel was going to burn down after a small fire broke out in the basement.]

Living Water. These hands belong to one of the sweetest men I’ve ever met—a good mate from down under, with whom I had the pleasure of touring the Holy Land and re-affirming my Baptism… in this water: the Jordan River.

Out of Darkness. A view from the stairs leading down to “the sacred pit” where Jesus was held while He waited to be killed. Look closely out the window… You’ll see the city of Jerusalem, complete with the golden “Dome of the Rock” in the Temple Mount (which is off-limits to Christians and Jews).

White Dove of Peace. Positioned above mourners on the Wailing Wall. Irony. And here you can view my favorite and even more ironic dove in Israel. It’s possibly the loudest bird in the world, yet it doesn’t make a sound. To solve the riddle, read the article… For an even greater understanding, I challenge you to spend this Christmas in ‘O Little Town of Bethlehem.’

Mary of Nazareth. This statue stands tall outside of the church that sits above Mary’s home (that she grew up in)… where (from the outside) one is able to view the old remains underneath the relatively new cathedral that sits atop. While I like this photo, this was not my favorite Mary… for some reason, my favorites were always the sad Mary’s… they just evoke such strong feeling.

Jerusalem Glass. Every chapel and cathedral had gorgeous stained glass windows. I loved this one because it was one of the more abstract ones… and it features the Jerusalem Cross, which you will only find in the Holy Land.

Jesus’ Donkey. The poor thing is still waiting for Him to come back.

Sheryl’s View. “Stacy is walking where Jesus walked!” My cool roommate played video commentator as I wandered down the only area around the City Walls where one is able to view/ stroll down original (structural) remains from the time of Jesus [because Jerusalem just kept being rebuilt on top of past ruins]… made of very impressive limestone boulders.

Place of the Story of The Good Samaritan. Unfortunately, this guy represents a different character in the story. Imagine being left out there. (It’s much bigger in person.)

Windows to the Soul. The eyes of my Palestinian Christian friend—likely the most well-informed, just, and unbiased person I’ve ever met… and possibly ever will meet. These eyes have seen quite a bit. Just look in them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love it Stacy! Today was my first visit to your blog (where have I been?!) and I hope to read more of it once I'm done with midterms and on spring break... yea for MSW programs!!! Miss you!

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home