Monday, October 23, 2006

extreme

--written earlier today--
So let’s talk about some of the other extremes I’ve observed so far here in South Africa.

*extreme wealth vs. extreme poverty
For those of you who have been on mission trips before, you may not see a worse degree of poverty here in South Africa. After having gone to Mexico and Jamaica on mission trips, I was prepared for people living in shacks made of cardboard and scrap metal. What I could not have prepared myself for was the extreme gap in social class. It is more severe here than anywhere else in the world. For example, in many areas, you may see a mansion nicer than anything you’ve seen before… sitting just a few blocks from one of the poorest shacks you’ve ever seen. For the most part, the classes are divided into different suburbs/townships… But for so much wealth and so much poverty to reside in the same area… it’s insane. You might not notice it on the tourist visit to Capetown, but it is the saddest and most definitive aspect of South Africa. South Africa is very similar to Australia, except in this way, as Australia is a very egalitarian society… which is what I loved most about it.
*positive vs. negative
These words have the power to make or destroy a life. The definitions of these terms are quite different for us in the States. Here, “positive” is the worst word you can hear… While “negative” has a very positive connotation. Of course, this is due to the fact that South Africa has the worst AIDS epidemic in the world. Thus, the words “positive and negative” are solely used in conjunction with HIV. Here, being “positive” means your life is essentially over… It is the beginning of the end. Meanwhile, being “negative” means one still has a chance! This is the world I am living in… one that is positive and negative.
*sickness
Here’s another extreme for me. I have never in my life seen such sickness… so many people that are SO sick. Babies, mothers, children, men. It is a very strange feeling watching a mother waste away while she holds her baby whom she has infected. Knowing your child will have to suffer so much after you pass on; this must be the worst feeling in the world. Still, many of the mothers are so sweet and joyful.
*violence
This country is very violent, but it is actually quite miraculous that it’s as peaceful as it is… considering that apartheid just ended here a little over a decade ago! The crime is still very bad. The downtown area of Joburg is completely off-limits to Whites. I cannot explore, as I usually do. I don’t even leave Sparrow, with the exception of hospital visits and eating out from time to time… Of course, that’s always with someone driving who knows what they’re doing. I have to obey the rules of this country and its people, and not be a stupid American. So far, I’ve done pretty well.
*extremely friendly vs. guarded
For the most part, everyone here is very friendly. However, many are also very cautious and guarded. This has been my greatest struggle here at Sparrow. Some of the children are afraid to get close because they have been abandoned so many times before. The first question many of them ask is when I’ll be leaving. At the same time, nearly all of the children have come running toward me with open arms, saying “mama- mama” since the first time they saw me. The children have not been the most difficult part at all… It’s actually the staff that I’ve had trouble getting close to. The “caregivers” are a staff that work under the nurses here. Generally, they are pretty closed off at first. I’m trying to earn their respect and trust, but it isn’t easy to figure out what is helping and what is irritating. For example, they don’t like me picking up the babies because it “spoils” them. I’m sure I’ll discuss this topic much more in the future… But I need to go spoil some more babies… It’s lunch time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home