Wednesday, October 18, 2006

my first "top five"

TOP FIVE THINGS ENGRAVED IN MY MIND, SO FAR:

1) The BEAUTIFUL face of Joel, the new love of my life-- He is 12 years old, appears to be maybe 5, has a T-cell count of less than 4 (whereas yours and mine are somewhere around a thousand), and who has been at Sparrow for 3 weeks.
2) The little ones-- the sound of them at play outside my window, touching the little children whose photos I had stared at for weeks... and (the thing I REALLY cannot stop thinking about) the little baby boy who kept following me around crying, arms spread, calling me "Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma." He didn't want anyone to hold him but me. How do you walk away from that???
3) The words of the woman sitting next to me on the plane... about how in many areas around here, men who are the un-natural fathers claim rights to their wives' young daughters... in every way.
4) Listening to Pauline's (my house-mate) response when I asked why she was walking up to the house (instead of returning in the van). She said she had to park it at the front gate because she couldn't get it around the giant Hearse that was parked in the way.
5) Watching a little girl dancing wildly to birthday music being played, as her doctors chatted about her .04 cell count when she first arrived at Sparrow.

miracles do happen, and they are happening here.

i must be off to bed now... still recovering from the jetlag.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY STACY!! That mental picture of that little girl celebrating her birthday while doctors discussed her health was really powerful. There is so much more strength and hope in places like that than here in the "comfort" of USA.
I hope you become the mama of that baby. And what is a Hurst..hehe.. Love you buddy..Mikey

10:20 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

hey! thanks for your comment.. a hurst (i think that's the right spelling) is a large car (kind of like a station wagon) used to transport bodies to a funeral home or mortuary. Apparently, it was carrying a woman who was only in her early 50s.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh hurst...ok. For some reason i was imagining a huge rhino?? Am i stupid?...don't answer that stacy!! I cant believe you in a place where seeing a hurst is normal. Wow. Stay strong girl

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home